- This event has passed.
Brainerd Jaycees $150,000 Ice Fishing Extravaganza
January 25 @ 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
In the early 1990s the Brainerd Jaycees had a desire to develop a signature project—a project that would rally members, raise money for local charities, and provide avenues for individual growth, personal development, and leadership. With the first contest being held in January 1991, it is certain the founders never expected this event would become the world’s largest ice fishing contest and put Brainerd, MN, on the map with a winter event that generates over $1-million in revenue for area businesses and over $150,000 for area charities annually.
The Ice Fishing Extravaganza is held in January (typically the fourth Saturday of the month) on Gull Lake’s Hole in the Day Bay. It is an ice fishing contest where anglers compete for nearly $200,000 in cash and prizes. There are 150 spots on the prize board and the values are distributed throughout the list. Contestants are judged on the weight of their fish only—not the particular species of fish caught or length. All fish are weighed and are time-stamped so in the event of a tie the first fish weighed takes precedence.
Click here to buy your tickets! http://icefishing.org
What to bring and what not to bring to the contest:
- Warm clothes – especially good boots.
- Cash for vendors, credit card if you want to purchase tickets with it versus cash, drivers license, and fishing license.
- Ice chisel – We drill holes on Friday so some ice might build up by Saturday morning.
- Bait – we do not provide or sell bait on the ice.
- Fish/Depth locator
- Contest ticket, bring string or wire to hang the ticket on the outside of your clothing like a ski ticket.
- Fishing poles and gear, etc…
- Bucket or large plastic bag to put the fish in if you catch one, we are hoping to keep the fish alive and release them. We will be providing some plastic bag but just in case you can’t find one it would be nice if you had something.
- Radio, tune in B93.3, and if you find a sticker make sure you put it on your radio for a chance to win a prize if the prize patrol find you.
We don’t sell any Alcohol on the ice.
We ask that you do not bring anything in glass containers.
We do not have any ATM machines on ice.
PLEASE USE WASTE RECEPTACLES FOR YOUR GARBAGE. DRIVE SMART! THIS IS A SAFE & SOBER LAW ENFORCEMENT WEEKEND!